Friday 27 January 2012

a little movie magic

Today my Mum and I took Lily to her first 'cinema experience' - a free showing of the 1959 classic Sleeping Beauty at the National Library. It was just delightful, she was so excited about going to the 'movies' although she struggled to understand the concept of watching TV on a stage, asking if she would be able to go on stage at the 'show', then asking if the Prince was going to arrive through the Exit door! We have been to a few concerts/shows lately so I guess the lady prefers live theatre and who am I to judge?!


Bad photo, beautiful adventure...

Enrapt

It was also the first time she has had the chance to sit through a whole movie as even at family movie nights at home we usually limit it to half a kid's movie at a time, so we had preplanned to just exit if she got too restless (as it was free we had no qualms about doing this - phew!) but with snacks and alternating snuggling on my lap and her own chair she made it through the hour-ish long film really well! Thankfully a theatre full of kids meant she could ask questions and move around a bit without issue.

It was a lovely and precious time! She loved the singing and music in the movie and I just loved snuggling up with her in the cinema and seeing her enjoy a film I had also loved as a child. It was a super sweet little outing, and being the nostalgic mama that I am (what, you hadn't noticed??) it was a real pleasure to enjoy such a fun 'first' with her.  
 

At the fountain outside the library afterwards

One of the many spoils of parenting is getting to introduce these little people to so many of life's delights! I just love having the honour of giving them so many new experiences and seeing the world and its many glories through their sweet and innocent eyes!


7 comments:

  1. What a lovely outing! Lucky girl.
    That first photo isn't bad, it is wonderful. Cuddles with your little sweetie, what could be better? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that first photo :) Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww such a cute story. And I love that first picture -- a perfectly captured moment of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - the first photo is lovely. And how exciting! Sleeping beauty was my favourite when I was little... I played it until the VHS broke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes its a charming little film isnt it? I was amazed to realise all those years later it used Tchaikovsky's score, it was integrated so well! ahhh memories :)

      Delete
  5. You were seriously fishing with saying that first photo was bad;) It's gorgeous!

    Totally agree about the spoils- seeing the "firsts" and how they react is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol!!! not fishing, I promise :) i really didnt think it was a good pic (but ive been a bit intimidated by all the pros I think!!) but it did capture a sweet moment... and yes, the firsts are so precious!

      Delete

i love to hear your thoughts, thanks for leaving your comments! xx